Social Security Allows Same Sex Couples To Change Their Names After Marriage

The Social Security Administration recently changed its policy regarding same sex couples and married name change.  Instead of having to petition the court system for a legal name change order, same sex couples can now use their marriage certificate to file for a married name change.

In reading this article on the topic, it does seem that it is taking time for the new policy to filter down to the clerks at Social Security offices.  Please keep this in mind when you file for your new married name on your Social Security card.  I would suggest printing this Social Security Policy Update and bringing it with you, just in case you find yourself dealing with an uninformed clerk (it happens).

Need help changing your married name on your Social Security card and other documents?  Check out’s easy online name change service! As  long as you have certified marriage certificate and live in a state that recognizes your marriage, we’re happy to assist you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

About Us

Advice dispensed with class and a little sass. Everything from how to cope with post-wedding blues to the best ways to entertain and enjoy life as a MRS.!