How to Change Your Name Post-Wedding
  • Get a few copies of your certified marriage certificate.  You will need to use them as legal proof of your marriage.
  • Get a Social Security Card with your new name.  You will need to complete an application and submit it with proof of identity and proof of legal name change.
  • Update your driver’s license or ID from your state DMV.  Each state has a process for name change on a driver’s license or ID card.  Make sure to bring your current license/ID, proof of legal name change, and proof of residence if you have moved.  It is also a good idea to wear something cute, since your photo will be re-taken.
  • Notify the IRS of your name change.  You will need to complete a form to notify the IRS.  This ensures that when you file your taxes under your new name or jointly with your husband the IRS will not hold your returns while they investigate who you are (ex: We have Caroline Green on file, but not a Caroline Smith with this SSN).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

About Us

Advice dispensed with class and a little sass. Everything from how to cope with post-wedding blues to the best ways to entertain and enjoy life as a MRS.!