Social Security Name Change

 Social Security Name Change Steps

When brides think about changing their names after marriage, the first thing that typically comes to mind is changing their name with Social Security Administration. Regardless of what state you live in, filing for your name change with Social Security is the very first to-do on the name change checklist. Follow our advice below to make filing the SS-5 form smooth and painless!

The Scoop on Social Security Name Change

The SS-5 Form is used by anyone applying for a Social Security Card, and anyone updating their name on their card. It is a one page form with 18 questions, so pretty short for a federal name-change form. The question we receive the most calls and emails about is #11: Has the person listed in item one or anyone acting on his/her behalf ever filed for or received a Social Security number card before? The answer is “yes” if you current have a Social Security Card, because your parents filed for one on your behalf.

The Social Security Filing Process

Once you complete your SS-5 form, you have the option to file in-person at a Social Security Administration office near you, or you can file by mail. In both situations a certified marriage certificate and form of photo ID will be needed to process your paperwork. If you elect to file in-person, the clerk will take your form and make copies of your certified marriage certificate and state driver’s license or U.S. Passport. They will then give you your certificate and form of ID back. *If you opt to file your SS-5 by mail you will need to include your certified marriage certificate and U.S. Passport. Photocopies will not be accepted. Your certificate and U.S. Passport will be mailed back to you along with your new Social Security card with your married name.

The Social Security Name Change Cost

Great news newlyweds! There no fee to file for a name change with the Social Security Administration.

The Social Security Name Change Timeline

Your new Social Security card with your new married name will be mailed to you approximately 2 weeks after your SS-5 form is processed. If you opted to file by mail it may take a few extra days.

Expert Tips

Your Social Security number remains the same even when your name changes, so there’s no need to worry about updating that as you go through the name change filing process!

If you do not have a passport, we strongly recommend filing in person, so you are not without your driver’s license during the two week processing period.

If you don’t want to endlessly write or type the same answers on all of your name-change forms, we’d love to help you with our easy online name change service. Answer once, and we’ll auto-complete all of the appropriate federal and state name-change forms with your information and provide step-by-step filing instructions to help you go from Miss to Mrs. in minutes!

Beyond Social Security Name Change

The SS-5 is just the first federal government name change form you need to file. We’ve made a married name change checklist to help you visualize the process, and keep track of your name change tasks. Consider it a wedding gift from the name change experts at MissNowMrs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

About Us

Advice dispensed with class and a little sass. Everything from how to cope with post-wedding blues to the best ways to entertain and enjoy life as a MRS.!