The 6 Steps of North Carolina Name Change

North Carolina Name Change Steps

Thinking about changing your name in North Carolina? Every state has different married name change laws and filing orders, but don’t stress! The MissNowMrs name change experts have broken the process into 6 steps to smooth your transition to your new married name.

Step 1: Change Your Name with Social Security

North Carolina requires newlyweds to file the SS-5 form with Social Security as the first step of their married name change process. Simply complete the form and file by mail (you will need to send your driver’s license or U.S. passport) or in-person. In approximately 2 weeks, your new social security card with your new married name will be issued and mailed to you.

Step 2: Change Your Name with the IRS

The next step in the North Carolina name change process is filing the IRS 8822 form with the IRS. The good news is it’s a one page form that is free to file. Not every opts to complete the IRS 8822, but we encourage our clients to file it to make sure the office knows their new name and maiden name when tax season arrives!

Step 3: Change Your Name with the DMV

To update your North Carolina driver’s license with your married name, you will need to first file your SS-5 form and wait at to receive your updated Social Security Card. Bring it, along with your completed DMV form, certified marriage certificate, car insurance card, and $10.00 in cash. Your new driver’s license will be issued the same day.

If you are applying for a Real ID, you will also need to bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or your unexpired U.S. passport (it can still be in your maiden name.) *There may be an additional fee for your Real ID.

There is a section of the North Carolina driver’s license form where you can elect to update your name on your voter registration. We highly encourage you to complete this section so you are able to vote locally and nationally.
Step 4: Change Your Name with the State Department

To change your name with the State Department, you will need to fill in the DS-11 passport form or the DS-5504 passport form, and file it with your current passport (or passport card,) your certified marriage certificate, two passport photos, and the listed processing fee. U.S passports take approximately 5-6 weeks to be issued, so it’s smart to give yourself 2 months to file before any international travel.

Step 5: Change Your Name with Your Creditors

After you’ve filed you name change forms with the state and federal offices, it is time to notify all of your creditors of your new name. The normal list of creditors includes your banks, credit cards, insurances, mortgage providers, student loan companies, medical providers, utilities, memberships, and magazines. Many of these companies can be contacted by phone, but some (especially banks) require you to come into a local office with your certified marriage certificate to change the name on your account.

Step 6: Simplify You Name Change with MissNowMrs

The typical name change takes approximately 13 hours. That’s 13 hours of newlywed life spent searching for forms, reading fine print, manually completing forms, and then figuring out what order to file them in (which is state-specific) and which offices you need to file them at. It’s a super un-fun process.

Fortunately, you can use the MissNowMrs App or online name change service to streamline your name change. We automate all the tedious repetitive parts of the name change process saving our clients over 13 hours of stress.

So, if you’re thinking about changing your name after marriage in North Carolina, the MissNowMrs app, service, and name change experts are at your service!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

About Us

Advice dispensed with class and a little sass. Everything from how to cope with post-wedding blues to the best ways to entertain and enjoy life as a MRS.!