2 Ways to File For Your Married Name on Your Social Security Card

Bride Social Security Card Name Change

When a bride decides to change her name after marriage, the first thing she typically thinks of is her Social Security Card… and she’s right. Filing to updated to your married name with the Social Security Administration is at the top of the name-change list. I vividly remember standing in the endless line at the Social Security office when I got married. There was an armed guard at the entrance and no one was allowed to use their phones. That experience definitely took some of the wind out of my newlywed sails.

Guess what? You have options when filing for your married name with the Social Security Administration. There are two ways to file for your new Social Security Card.

Method 1: File By Mail

Too busy to take time off of work to file for your new Social Security Card? You can elect to file by mail! Simply complete the SS-5 form, include a certified marriage certificate, and your driver’s license or U.S. Passport (photocopies are not accepted) and mail them to the Social Security Administration Office within your city. Two important things: If you do not have a passport to file with your form, do not mail in your driver’s license. This leaves you driving without proper ID for a minimum of 2 weeks. Also, as you are mailing important documents, we highly recommend using certified mail.

Method 2: File In Person

If you do not have a U.S. Passport to use as your identification document, or if you’re paranoid that your form and passport might get lost, filing in person is the option for you. When you file for your new Social Security card at the office, the clerk will take your form, make copies of your license or passport and marriage certificate and then give them right back to you. Your new Social Security card with your new name will be mailed to you within 10-14 business days. To minimize your wait time, we advise filing mid-week around 2:00pm.

Still feeling a little overwhelmed? The MissNowMrs online name change service was designed to streamline your form completion and filing process. When you use our service you have access to name-change experts who are happy to answer your questions and give you the support you need to make your name change a breeze!

Social Security Card Name Change


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

About Us

Advice dispensed with class and a little sass. Everything from how to cope with post-wedding blues to the best ways to entertain and enjoy life as a MRS.!