Name Change After Marriage in Alabama

alabama name change

Newlywed in Alabama? If you are considering changing your name after marriage in “the heart of Dixie” there are a few key things to keep in mind as you make the switch to Mrs.

1. Name Change Options Alabama policies make it a great state to change your name in. All of the name-change options are allowed under state law, so you can take your spouse’s last name, hyphenate your last names, take two last names sans hyphen, take your maiden name as a middle name or replace your middle name with your maiden name. If you’re on the fence about the new name that is right for you, play the Married Name Game and let it’s algorithm determine your ideal married last name based on key life factors and your personal style.

2. The Forms Any newlywed in Alabama changing their name needs to file the SS-5 form to update their social security card, the IRS 8822 to update their name associated with taxes, one of three passport forms to update their married name with the State Department, the USPS form to change their name with the postal service. The Alabama DMV does not have an official form for brides changing their names on their driver’s licenses, but you will need to bring your current license, your certified marriage certificate, and proof of residence if your address has changed (ex: a utility bill).

3. Fees It is free to file all federal name change forms except for the passport form(s). If you have had your U.S. passport for less than twelve months you can update your married name on your book for free. If you have had your current passport for more than twelve months you will need to pay $110 to have your married moniker on your passport. The fee for your duplicate driver’s license is $18.50. So, if you’re changing your name after marriage in Alabama you’re going to spend approximately $118.50 (not including certified marriage certificate fees). Not too bad to become a new Mrs.!

4. Save Time You can manually fill out all of the forms mentioned along with notification letters for all of your banks, credit cards, insurances, employers, mortgages, etc….OR you can use the MissNowMrs easy online name change service. It’s like TuboTax for married name change. Answer a few questions and all of your forms will be prepared for you. You can print, sign, and file, or opt for our premium package and have them mailed to you with pre-addressed envelopes and postage. For only $29.95 it’s a no-brainer for busy newlyweds!


*Photo Credit: Heather Durham Photography


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

About Us

Advice dispensed with class and a little sass. Everything from how to cope with post-wedding blues to the best ways to entertain and enjoy life as a MRS.!