- Take some time to consider what name-change avenue you will be taking and discuss it with your future mate.
- Tell your family and wedding attendants of your planned name change. They will then be able to advise anyone asking monogramming or gift-personalization questions before the wedding.
- **Please make your honeymoon travel plans and reservations using your maiden name. You will not have time to change your driver’s license and passport prior to your trip.**
- Inform your employer of your intended name change so they can begin the process of changing your email, business cards, and any other items bearing your maiden name.
- Consider using a website such as www.missnowmrs.com to help you prepare for your name change.
Name Change Advice
Looking for name change advice or some tips for newlywed life? The MissNowMrs experts have created state-specific name change articles and checklists for you. We’ve chronicled our recommendations for how to travel while changing your name AND how to handle voting during the transition.
We’ve also compiled our best guidance for how to handle difficult sister in laws, holidays as newlyweds, the ever-annoying baby questions, and much more. Why? Because, while we are name change experts, we’re also newlywed wives, moms, and sisters.
We hope our name change advice articles help smooth your transition to your new name, and a whole new phase of life. Congratulations and best wishes from the entire MissNowMrs team!
Here are several options to consider to make an easy name change compromise
- Hyphenate your last name with your spouse’s. He can keep his name the same or add yours too. You can also choose whose name should be first in the hyphenation.
- You can keep your maiden name as your middle name. This option allows you to change your last name, but still keep your maiden name as part of your title.
- Adding your maiden name as a second middle name is also a great compromise. If you have a long middle and maiden name, consider that this option may make your name quite a mouthful.
- Using your maiden name as your child’s first or middle name to preserve family history is also a popular choice. If your name was Sophia Carlin you could name your child Henry Carlin Green or Carlin Henry Green.
- Your husband could take your last name. While this is not the most common choice it is a great way for a man to support his wife and potentially escape a terrible last name of his own.
- Change your name legally and use it socially, but use your maiden name professionally. You can be Mrs. Green at school and church, but still be addressed as Ms. Smith at work.
Ready to have some fun? Play the married name game to show what other brides with similar personalities have selected for their name change option.
- You may have established yourself in a career and depend on name recognition for your business and reputation.
- You may not believe in the politics of women changing their last names after marriage since men don’t have the same expectation.
- Your identity may be closely tied to your name and you don’t want to lose your sense of self.
- You may be the last person to carry on your family name and want to make sure it lives on.
- Your husband’s last name may be difficult to pronounce or create an annoying joke when combined with your first name (ex: Mrs. Mary Christmas).
Want some ideas about your name change options that you may not have thought of? Play the Married Name Game to see you options
- Changing your last name after marriage is still the socially acceptable thing to do, and people will automatically start addressing you as Mrs. Green regardless of whether you have decided to legally change your name or not.
- If you plan on having or do have children it is easier to share a last name as parents then to continuously explain to teachers, doctors, playmates, and other parents that you are indeed married and the mother and father of your child.
- His name may be easier to pronounce than yours, or it just sounds nicer with your first name.
- Some women feel that changing their last name joins them to their husband and makes them a family.
- Booking travel plans, making dinner reservations, and monogramming will be much less complicated if you share a last name with your husband.
At MissNowMrs.com we have had the opportunity to work with many great websites and meet some outstanding wedding professionals. We thought you might benefit from a list of our favorites, so here they are:
Professionals & Businesses:
Tracy Bloom Schwartz – Weddings, Events, Invitations, and more: www.CreativeParties.com
Mervis Diamond Importers – Simply the best retailer for diamonds: www.mervisdiamonds.com
Main Event Caterers – Great caterer in the Maryland/Virginia Area: www.maineventcaterers.com
The Perfect Event – Fantastic event planner with hourly fee options: www.jackieduccievents.com
SuperbCuisines – Superb caterer with attention to personal relationships: www.superbcuisines.com
At Your Service of Maryland – Personal concierge service for busy MD brides: www.AtYourServiceMD.com
Big Day Entertainment – Offers the largest selection of Bands, DJs, and Musicians in the tri-state area: www.BigDayWeddingCenter.com
WeddingInfos.com – Wedding directory and resource guide on the web
As seen on TheBigDay honeymoon registry
Your source for Wedding Planning, WeddingManor.com!
Find Unique Wedding Cakes
The best place for wedding cake designs and toppers is yourwedding101.com
Bride Mix Your Guide for Venues to Catering, Make-Up to Hair!
Wed Georgia Atlanta Wedding Officiants
For the Bride – BridalPeople.com
Wedding Planning with Dress Up Your Wedding!
Wedding Accents – One of the largest retailers of discount wedding, anniversary & quinceanera accessories, favors, gifts and apparel on the internet. Choose from over 3500 items and save time and money!
Unique Wedding Favors – SAVE BIG on the latest styles of wedding favors. We offer engravable gifts, candles, soaps, personalized favors, and much more for your special event. Visit www.hansonellis.com Today!
Free Wedding Catalogs by Wedding.Orders – Wedding.Orders offers the highest quality of professionally printed wedding invitations.
Share Your Shower Registry With Friends & Family, Online. BridalShowerOnline.com!
Cheap Wedding Dress,Bridal Dress,Cheap Wedding Gown,Discount Wedding Dress
LilyWedding.com brings to you high quality bridal gowns that allow you to shop from all over the world. Custom-made to fit your body for FREE!
Forever Friends is in the business of providing Fine Stationery, Favors and Accessories for those special occasions in your life!
As Seen On WeddingChannel.com -the most comprehensive wedding planning site on the web!